Sunday, June 5, 2011

Milton Race Report

Today I raced my first tri of 2011 at the Milton Triathlon, part of the Subaru Triathlon Series. Results can be found here. We took the time last week to take a quick look at the course, having never done this race before. And what a course! The bike included the infamous 6th Line Hill, and definitely one of the hilliest runs I have ever done. To be honest, I was most nervous for the swim...especially the start. We've only been in the lake once this summer and it always takes a few times for me to get back to being used to the feeling of chaos!

New Suits!


Warmup and prep in the morning went smoothly. I couldn't believe how quickly warmups were done and we were waiting in the water for the start. The start was fine, and I could tell that I was moving well after the first buoy and was able to get out of the water in 6th overall. Onto the bike, I felt ok, and spent most of it keeping an eye on my power meter and seeing how many I could keep behind me. I was passed by Leanna on the bike, and came into transition just ahead of Domi. Domi and I left T2 together and at the top of the first hill, CT told us we had 45secs to Leanna. At first my legs were feeling terrible. But around 1k in I was able to get some rhythm, only to have the 2nd big hill switch me back to my shuffle. I caught Leanna just before hitting the 3rd big hill. I hadn't seen this part of the run before and I had no idea it was coming. Once I realized that yes, I would have to get to the top, I tried to make my shuffle a little more efficient. Finally around the top of the loop, we were able to come down, down, down. I'm pleased to be able to come out on top at my first race of the season. There's just something about following the leader bike!

3 more weeks until my first ITU race of the season in Coteau-du-Lac!

No comments:

Post a Comment