Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Coteau du Lac

This weekend I raced my first ITU event of the season. I'm starting to get used to a mid day start and I really enjoy being able to get a good sleep, get a short jog in before breakfast and having a bit of time before the gun to get organized.

I was called onto the pontoon in 8th position and decided to choose the right end, guaranteeing clear water on one side. I had a clean start and immediately looked to my left and made my way over to some of the faster swimmers. I thought my first lap was smooth but fell back a bit on the second lap exiting in 4th place. T1 was clean but before I could even think about who was just up ahead and around me I dropped my chain. I tried my best to coax it back on but got frustrated quickly and hopped off, and put it back on by hand. Lead pack was long gone by this point. I knew it wouldn't be long before the second pack would swallow me up so I got my shoes on, and tried to refocus. The ride went smoothly for the most part. I worked hard and did a better job then I have in the past in positioning myself well into the turn arounds and corners. The biggest mistake I made was allowing the strongest rider in our group to get ahead of me into one of the corners and she and another rider got a gap. I gave everything to go with them but was not successful. Both ended up getting a gap on our group through the second half of the ride.




Coming off the bike I was feeling a bit light headed but tried to stay steady. The first half of the run felt good but the wheels started to come off in the second half. I was able to place 8th overall. Technically my best ITU finish but feels a bit strange when there's only 16 to start. I'm finally feeling like my training is starting to come together so I'm looking to improve on my run off the bike over the rest of the season. Next up is the continental cup in San Francisco in less then 2 weeks!  

No comments:

Post a Comment