Sunday, June 12, 2011

K-W Classic

This morning I raced in my second ever cycling race. Unlike the first race I competed in, it was a shorter route, just over 6km per loop. Since it was so close by and it seemed like a good way to practice some technical riding during a race setting, Jason, Zander and along with my wonderful mother woke up early and drove to Kitchener.

The women's start was a combined start for Elite 3, Jr, and Master's categories. Unlike the men's race, we had a time limit instead of a set number of loops. They told us that after we had completed 2 loops, the total number of loops would be calculated. Which meant we were told after the 3rd lap, that we had 4 to go...almost half the race was already over!

The main goal heading into the race was to try to stay on my bike and in one piece. Second, was to get a good workout and work on being better positioned in a group when going around 180's, corners and down hills: all aspects that make me nervous. And nervous, equals scared, equals sloooow.

As each loop went by, the hill really broke up the group and during lap 5, two girls (who I went to highschool with, go KCVI!) rolled off the front. Major lesson, always know what's going on!! Since I really had nothing to lose on this race, attempting to stay with them would have been fun but once they were gone and the group attempted to get organized, it was waay too late. The last two laps were spent with a now smaller group of around 6. We made a few feeble attempts as a group to get organized, but it really came down to a sprint. On the last little rise, I went to the front, pushed and led into the small chicane before the last straightaway. Still need to work on that last sprint! Ended up 4th in my category.

I'm really glad that we were able to get to this race. Both my mom and Aunt Mary were able to come and watch. It's always nice to have some fans. Going around one of the corners, all I could hear was "Goooooo Dodieeeeee!! hup! hup! hup! hup!" CT, I think Mom learned that one from you!

2 more weeks until the first bigger race of the season, just enough time for one last block and then some rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment